Monday, December 22, 2014

10 Minute Dress-Up Corner

I've noticed lately that Lizzie has been collecting a decent amount of dress up things and of course, I have no space for them. Luckily, I've just removed our ugly old mirror from our bathroom so I decided to put it to good use.

This couldn't be more simple! I simply used some mirror clips to attach the big old thing to the wall, and purchased one of those flexible shelving units to fit the other side. Luckily, santa told me that she will be getting some dress up clothes other than princess-themed things. I don't think we bought her any of the princess things, but somehow they seem to multiply! 



Wednesday, December 17, 2014

DIY Wall-Mounted Book Displays

A few months ago, I was eagerly looking through my latest copy of HGTV Magazine. Seriously, I love it! Of course, they always have the section of the back where they feature outrageously gorgeous homes that are most definitely out of my budget. But they do give me ideas. One girl's room had some crazy book displays that I just fell in love with and felt inspired by.

I suppose I've also been seeing these Ikea-spice rack hacks too for a while, but they would be much too small to fit much of anything. We have a lot of books. In fact, the only things I couldn't find storage for after the move are our remaining six totes full of books. I have dreams about full-wall built-in bookcases and comfy leather seats in front of a fire. But not for this house.

The hunt was on. Target had something, but it wasn't long enough. Ikea had something, but for how many I had in mind, it would have been over $100. Here's my solution.

I went to Lowe's and bought several 1"x2"x6' pieces of wood. You need three pieces for each shelf you would like to make. By buying the cheapest grade wood, I only spent around $36 for all my panels, but given the choice to do it again I would maybe buy a slightly better grade just because the sanding portion isn't as nice with the white wood. 



Next, I painted all the pieces with Zinsser CoverStain Primer (Gold Label). Then sand down any parts which still look a little creepy. 



After sanding, I used the Paddle Bits to drill some holes for the screws before screwing all pieces together. After they were screwed together, I used wood putty to fill the holes then painted them in the same white that I've been using on my trim. 

I just drilled them right to the studs and I'm so happy how they turned out! 


Unfortunately, all these bookcases only hold about 25% of her books, you can see the rest in her closet, but it makes a great display! 




Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Repainting Our Baseboard Heaters

Every time we move, the first thing that I'm always a little OCD about is cleaning. (This is thanks in part to both an OCD clean mother and years spent as a maid.) This move, I knew I had my work cut out for me. No nice property management company to send the cleaners in before the next move in. The gentleman who lived here before didn't even get all his furniture out until ten minutes to closing. That doesn't leave a lot of time for washing windows. 


The fluorescent lighting does no favors, either.
But one of the biggest, grossest things I knew I would have to tackle was the bathroom. 20 year old accessories that were very securely held onto the walls by years of dust and bathroom icky-ness and these God-awful baseboard heaters were priority. 


No, I don't need to be reminded about how these particular baseboard heaters (right next to the toilets) got so rusted. *Double Shudder*

I didn't even want to pee or shower until these bad boys were taken care of. Much less let Lizzie anywhere near it. 

We know that we will eventually be tiling both bathrooms, and probably replacing both bathroom baseboard covers with something a little more attractive and rust-proof at that time.  So I wanted to see if I could save the pre-existing ones first. 

After reviewing a lot of different DIY options, here's what I eventually ended up doing. 

First, I taped off the area around the baseboard heater. Then, I had to do the prep work to get rid of much of the rust, and get a smooth finish.


Wearing rubber gloves of course, I used a combination of both sandpaper and wire brushing technique and went to work. Each heater took about an hour. The wire brush was best for the really thick chunks of rust, but sandpaper was best for the small bumps and the final smoothing of it. 

Once everything was smoothed out I applied this Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer, and then used this Rust-Oleum protective enamel. I applied two coats of each.



I plan on giving this same treatment to all the baseboard heaters in the house, though in the future I may skip the primer step. I think the Rust-Oleum would be sufficient. I love the results though! 





Here's one last before/after. As you can see, I also painted the bathroom, but I'll do a full bathroom before/after once we have everything replaced. For now, I'm just glad everything is CLEAN!


Sunday, December 7, 2014

Toddler Christmas Pictures 2014

I've got to say, I'm on the ball this year with our family Christmas cards. And by family, I mean I only take pictures of Lizzie because trying to get all three of us together at one time and looking cute is really difficult. Not that trying to get a two and a half year old to stay still and smile is easy.

But she was as cooperative as a two year old can be. 
Luckily, I have a good camera with a fast shutter speed.

She gave me about five minutes where she would sit and smile.


And that was it. So I embraced the toddler running around thing and just started snapping. 



I love how these "action" shots turned out! In fact, they are by far my favorite and also the ones I ordered for the holiday card from Shutterfly this year.


Check out my previous years' cards too.

2012-DIY Baby Christmas Cards

2013-Christmas Picture