My first shot was to do one of the typical Christmas lights in the background shots but I couldn't get the lights to where they looked just right. I hung a flat white sheet over our counter and floor and hung the lights on top. I used a low aperture setting to focus in on Lizzie's face. After several minutes of this however I wasn't satisfied and only managed to get one "tester" shot I liked which I converted to black and white with Photoshop.
My next attempt was to use one of my Christmas tablecloths in the background. I wanted a more classic Christmas look so I made a quick King's Crown for Lizzie with some old Stampin' Up! scrapbook paper I had. I also added some beads to get a little shine. I liked how these turned out a little better, but didn't think I wanted to use any for my Christmas card.
|My weird sheet/light setup.|
This was my most successful attempt. I got quite a few pictures I was happy with, all using a lower aperture on my digital SLR.
|"Wow. What a great idea using the sheets and sunlight Mom!"|
I finally selected the picture I liked the best for our Christmas cards. Luckily, I didn't find that I had to use Photoshop other than to crop to the right dimensions for Shutterfly and add the text. I drew from the colors in her dress and the lights for the text color. Not your typical Christmas colors, but I am SO HAPPY with how they turned out.
Whoo! Done! Ordered! And it's only December 4th...just 52 weeks to come up with next year's Christmas card.
Check out my more recent Christmas cards too!
|2013 Toddler Pictures|
|2014 Toddler Pictures|